Wednesday, January 28, 2015

SmallCakes Cupcakery

I had never heard of SmallCakes Cupcakery until recently. I was driving around my neighborhood when I saw a sign that said "SmallCakes Cupcakery, COMING SOON!". At first I thought it was going to be a small, local shop similar to Sweet Tweets Cakery, but I was wrong. I searched for the bakery online to better prepare myself for my inevitable visit and I was a little disappointed to see that it was a national chain, like Sprinkles Cupcakes and Gigi's Cupcakes. Lucky for me, I had some time to come to terms with my disappointment because there wasn't a tentative date online for the grand opening. I put the cupcakery in the back of my mind and continued along with my other cupcake ventures, among other things going on in life.

A few days ago, while driving by the upcoming location, I noticed that the "COMING SOON" sign was taken down. I wondered to myself, has it open already? I decided to take a closer look so I looked in and noticed there was still some ladders and other construction type things happening. When I got home I looked up the location online and found that the opening was only a few days away. My disappointment was completely gone as excitement replaced it.

A few days after their opening, I finally got a chance to visit the new cupcake bakery. They have various daily regular flavors along with three to four specials that rotate each date. They have about ten specials that rotate out each month.

Red Velvet Cupcakes display at SmallCakes
Happily I found that red velvet was one of their regular flavors. I decided to also get the peanut butter cup cupcake as well as the tuxedo cupcake, which was a chocolate almond cake with almond buttercream frosting.

Red Velvet, Peanut Butter Cup, and Tuxedo Cupcakes
The red velvet cupcake was not disappointing. I was happy about this because I have been tremendously disappointed with other national cupcake chains. The cake was moist and chocolatey. Ironically, it was almost too chocolatey. The cupcake had a slight bitter taste, as if they used dark chocolate cocoa. The frosting was creamy and had the cream cheese base traditionally paired with red velvet cake. The frosting was a bit too sweet for my taste though. The decorations were simple. I chose the variety adorned with nuts, however there was a nut-free version. That was simply decorated with the frosting, no other decorations.

Red Velvet Cupcake
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The other cupcake varieties were delicious and I will happily return to try their rotating flavors. Sadly, I did not find the red velvet to rule them all, but I will not let this bring me down!

Onwards and upwards to find the true red velvet!

Price: $3.75/cupcake
Cake: light, fluffy, moist, dark chocolate, too chocolatey
Icing: too sweet, creamy, cream cheese based
Decorations: simple, allergen friendly
Overall Rating: 8/10
Website: SmallCakes Cupcakery


No comments:

Post a Comment