Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Cupcake Spot - St. Pete, Florida

They've just started showing an exhibit at the Dali Museum in St. Pete setting Picasso and Dali paintings side by side. I was intrigued, so I decided to make a trip out of it which obviously included The Cupcake Spot in St. Pete. It also helped that I had the excuse of dropping by to check on my friend's cats while she was out of town.

After my visit to the museum, which was overly crowded for my taste, I headed to The Cupcake Spot in hopes of finding a red velvet cupcake to make the trip worth taking. My hopes were rewarded when I walked into the shop and saw one last red velvet cupcake left.

Paint the Town Red Velvet from The Cupcake Spot
I decided to eat the cupcake right there in the cafe rather than take it home. The atmosphere of the cafe was welcoming, however there was a very rustic, wet smell and the heater must've been on because it was really hot. The uncomfortable atmosphere was only the beginning on the downfall for me. The cupcake was nice in texture, it was soft and airy. The cake itself was slightly dry but the frosting helped. It was definitely the traditional cream cheese frosting, but it was overly cream cheese flavored. The flavor overpowered the cupcake. When I tried the cake by itself, I found it to have a pleasant taste with a hint of chocolate. Overall I was kind of underwhelmed. The chocolate flavor was lacking and the cake texture took away from most of the positive attributes. That combined with the uncomfortable atmosphere made me want to leave sooner rather than later. It was unfortunate because the staff was really friendly and welcoming.

Overall, I have to say the red velvet cupcake from The Cupcake Spot was a disappointment compared to the rest of the cupcake bakeries in the Tampa Bay area. I also got the Buckeye cupcake, which wasn't as much of a let down.

Buckeye Cupcake from The Cupcake Spot
The chocolate cake was delicious however the peanut butter frosting wasn't as sweet as I was hoping, but it was alright.

In the end, I didn't find the one red velvet to rule them all, but at least I can cross another bakery off my list from Tampa Bay! Here's to a new year with new red velvet findings!

Price: $3.25/cupcake
Cake: airy, dry
Icing: smooth, sweet, very cream cheesy
Decorations: simple
Overall Rating: 4/10
Website: The Cupcake Spot




No comments:

Post a Comment