Wednesday, January 14, 2015

OobAlaMode Pastries - Tampa, Florida

Another great find from the Sunday market in downtown Tampa was the OobAlaMode Pastries tent. Now I had met these fine pastry chefs at the Ybor Saturday Market Cupcake Festival. Their bacon bourbon cupcake won 2nd place at that competition and let me tell you, from what I heard, it was amazing! I don't eat bacon, but I have a feeling if I did I would love it.

I was excited to see these folks again, I had been communicating with them to try and find out when and where they'd have their red velvet cupcakes in a jar. That's their gimmick, which is actually pretty genius if you ask me. They serve their cupcakes in jars. I love this idea because I get more cupcake for my buck! Now the price does go up a bit, but when you look at the quantity and the unique presentation, I think it' worth it. On the bright side, you get a souvenir! It's ultimately a very green way of serving a delicious treat.

Red Velvet Cupcake in a Jar by OobAlaMode Pastries
The tag on the jar includes a list of the ingredients. I was curious to see what was in this sinful selection, so I decided to sneak a peak. In this jar full of joy, there were three very unique ingredients. Now I'm very much a consumer of non-dairy milk, I enjoy almond and coconut milk daily (though I'm not a vegan). I found it interested that this bakery used both non-dairy milks in their ingredients. Above all else, the most unique ingredient was cream of tar tar. I had never thought to use that in a cupcake and I was eager to see how it all played out.

Top view

Layers of Joy
I have to say the cupcake was a unique experience. The cake itself was moist and light, but it was very different from any red velvet I had ever tasted. I wasn't hit with a very strong cocoa flavor, in fact I could only sense a hint of it. What blew me away was the texture though. The cake was so moist and airy, I felt like I was eating a cloud or something! The cream cheese frosting was also quite delightful. It was very smooth and creamy, but not too light like whipped cream, yet not too dense. It was a perfect blend of cream cheese flavor. Honestly, I only wish there was a bit more cocoa flavor to the cake, that would make this red velvet the perfect find!

I guess I'll have to continue my hunt, but hopefully I find more delicious treats like this one along the way! As they say at OobAlaMode Pastries, treat responsibly! Until next time...

Price: $8/cupcake in a jar
Cake: moist, airy, light, fluffy, hint of chocolate
Icing: smooth, creamy, sweet, cream cheese
Decorations: unique
Overall Rating: 7/10
Website: OobAlaMode Pasteries


No comments:

Post a Comment