Monday, December 22, 2014

Gigi's Cupcakes

I've recently found there are a great deal of bakeries and cupcakes places in the Tampa Bay area. One of which is the cupcake bakery chain, Gigi's Cupcakes. There are two locations in Tampa, one in South Tampa off South Dale Mabry, and one in Carrollwood, right off North Dale Mabry. I live tremendously close to the Carrollwood shop so I've been taking it for granted, having not visited it since I moved back to Tampa. I always thought I'd find the time to go ahead and stop by, but I never seem to...either I'm too tired from work or I've just paid my bills and have no extra money to spare. Either way, I never found the time or money.

Until now!

After another very long day at work, I decided I deserved a treat and asked a friend to stop by Gigi's on his way home. I knew we would be hanging out later so I thought, here's my chance! Lucky for me, I have some great friends, so I finally got to try the elusive Gigi's Scarlet Red Velvet Cupcake.

Gigi's Cupcakes!
I was so excited to see the box, I almost forgot to take a snap of it! I like that the bakery dresses up the cupcakes like gifts...that's exactly what they feel like at the end of a hard day's work.

Four Cupcakes from Gigi's Cupcakes
The Scarlet Red Velvet looks especially festive. Topped with a white chocolate heart and red sugar crystals, I almost didn't want to ruin it. Almost.

When I took the cupcake out of the box, I noticed that the cupcake was a little hard. When I broke into the cupcake itself, the frosting yeilded and I found it to be smooth and sweet. The frosting was more like a whipped cream frosting, overly sweet and didn't pair well with the cake.

Gigi's Scarlet Red Velvet Cupcake
The cake itself was slightly dry, but it was light and airy. There was a nice hint of chocolate in the cake, which was a nice surprise. Another surprise which wasn't so nice was a cream filling in the cupcake. It was reminiscent of a Boston creme filling for donuts. I was very disappointed by this.

Overall, the cupcake was decent. The amount of frosting was too much for the cake (seriously, enough to feed a small African nation...they should change their name to Gigi's Frosting) and the flavor combinations proved too sweet to stomach. Ultimately, the cream filling ruined the experience for me. It was a sad ending to a very, very long day.

Price: $3.50/cupcake
Cake: dry, light, airy, cream filled
Icing: smooth, sweet, hard, like whipped cream
Decorations: fancy, festive
Overall Rating: 6/10
Website: Gigi's Cupcakes USA


No comments:

Post a Comment