Thursday, September 8, 2016

fairycakes - San Jose, California

Well, I'm back after another, much shorter, hiatus. Big news everyone, I moved to California!!! Through a series of serendipitous events, I got a job in Northern California. Let the good times roll!

After a few weeks of getting my feet on the ground and re-centering myself, I was able to start exploring the baked goods available here in San Jose. I have to say, Northern California is pretty donut heavy. I think the west coast is pretty much all donut territory. I haven't seen much in the way of cupcake bakeries, at least not as many as I've seen donut shops. I tried not to let this get me down...worse case scenario, I start writing about red velvet donuts, right?

Well, lucky for me I don't have to switch over to the dark side yet. Through another series of serendipitous events, I happened upon a food truck rally in San Jose. One of the trucks just happened to be a cupcake food truck, fairycakes! Oh lucky day!

Image result for fairycakes truck


Also lucky for me, they had red velvet on the menu!



I was pleased with the cupcake overall. I do think it needed a bit more chocolate flavor, but overall the texture and moisture in the cake was great. The frosting flavor was very good, though it was thicker than I usually like.

I tried some other flavors from the fairycakes menu and I have to say, they were delicious. I highly recommend the hazelnut toffee and the salted caramel. The tiramisu is also reportedly delicious!

Overall I was happy with my first San Jose red velvet experience. It definitely left me eager to try out new places!


Price $3/cupcake
Cake: moist, light chocolate flavor
Icing: thick, creamy, good cream cheese flavored frosting
Decorations: simple
Overall Rating:6/10
Website: fairycakes
 

No comments:

Post a Comment