Thursday, October 1, 2015

Georgetown Cupcake

I am happy to announce, I have finally tried a red velvet cupcake from Georgetown Cupcake. Let me tell you, they do not disappoint. BUT I'm getting ahead of myself.

When my cupcake obsession first began, there were some television shows popping up all about cupcake bakeries! There was DC Cupcakes featuring Georgetown Cupcake and Cupcake Wars, which featured various cupcake bakeries battling it out from the best cupcake. Basically, I fell into the fad. Unlike the fad, however, my obsession never dwindled. For whatever reason, even before all the cupcake fame was growing, I was always in love with the cupcake. Maybe it was because they're small and fun, like me. Maybe it was because they are pretty much everything delicious and good in the world in something that fits in the palm of your hand. Either way, from day one I was hooked!

So back in 2011, when I was in DC for a conference, I knew I had to stop by Georgetown Cupcake. It was the home of one of my favorite TV shows, how could I not???

Me outside Georgetown Cupcake circa 2011
Unfortunately, by the time I got to visit the main location it was late in the evening and the line was still wrapped around the block. There was no way I was going to get a cupcake during that visit. I knew, however, one day I would be able to revisit Georgetown Cupcake.

Fast forward to 2015 during my Labor Day weekend visit to Atlanta. I had recently learned that Georgetown Cupcake had expanded to the South, opening a shop in Buckhead, which is a suburb of Atlanta. I knew as soon as I decided on the trip, I would be stopping by. Atlanta also has a Sprinkles Cupcake with a cupcake ATM, however after my trip to Vegas, I figured there's no point wasting my time when I could be visiting a new, yet to be tasted, cupcake bakery.

My opportunity came not soon enough  and I have to say, the cupcake bakery is really nice. It's small and quaint and has just enough chairs for a couple of couples to sit and enjoy their cupcakes.

Georgetown Cupcake Display
The cupcake display was really patron friendly. You could see and read all the different flavors available thanks to the multi-tier display.

Cupcakes to go

Me outside Georgetown Cupcake circa 2015
So, after four years of yearning to taste the red velvet from Georgetown Cupcake, I finally got the opportunity. I had to admit, I was a little nervous. Would this end up being like the Sprinkles red velvet cupcake...a slight let down? Would the build up of the cupcake ruin the reality? I had no idea what the answer would be, but I could let the fear stop me!

Image via Google Images
When I finally took my first bite, all my fears melted away. Literally. This red velvet was the epitome of red velvet cupcakes. Everything everyone has said about how good these cupcakes are...it's all true!
Image via Google Images

I couldn't believe it. At first I was in denial. There was no way a cupcake could be this good, was there? I was so in disbelief that I ate the whole thing before I realized I hadn't even taken a proper picture of the cupcake alone.

The cake was so moist, so light, so airy, and so chocolatey! The frosting was the perfect kind of cream cheese, it was smooth and creamy and not too sweet but not too savory.


I still can't believe it. I found my perfect red velvet cupcake.

So I'm guessing you're wondering...now what? I've found my perfect red velvet cupcake...will the quest continue?

Well...I suppose it's not so much of a quest anymore as an adventure. Now I guess the name of the game is to see if anyone can be as good as Georgetown Cupcake. Georgetown Cupcake is now the standard by which all red velvets are measured.

Let the games begin!

Price $3.25/cupcake
Cake: moist, dense, perfect chocolate flavor
Icing: smooth, creamy, cream cheese frosting
Decorations: simple heart
Overall Rating:10/10
Website: Georgetown Cupcake


No comments:

Post a Comment