Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Yum Yum Cupcake Truck - Orlando, Florida

One of my favorite things to do is go to food truck rallies. Food trucks are probably the smartest idea since sliced cheese!

The first time I went to one was in 2011, just before I was leaving for my Peace Corps service. The even had some great food trucks, including trucks serving crepes, Korean BBQ, and burgers. There was also one for CUPCAKES!

I promised myself when I started this blog I would track them down and try their red velvet. They are a fun spin on the traditional cupcake bakery.

According to their Facebook page: "In 2010, the pair quit their 9-to-5’s and pursued their passion. With only memories of baking with parents and grandparents, Alex and Joey started baking for private parties and farmers markets.

As Orlando fell in love with their cupcakes, they needed to get their made-from-scratch cupcakes from the kitchen to the customer. The only logical way? A food truck!

The Yum Yum Cupcake Truck made its debut at the first Food Truck Bazaar in March 2011 and has since been embraced by the local community. It can be found each week at various Food Truck Bazaars, the University of Central Florida and even Walt Disney World!"

After doing more research over the two years I was in Africa (yes I was obsessed, and I did research on other cupcake bakeries too) I wanted to go back and taste their decadent cupcakes more and more.

Luckily, the opportunity came when I found the truck's schedule for events throughout the week. I went with a couple friends on a Thursday and was happy to taste their red velvet cupcake.

The red velvet is very classic in color and look. The cream cheese frosting was near perfection. It was a mix of creamy and sweet with a little bit of the savory flavor cream cheese tends to have. The cake was moist, fluffy, and airy. The texture and consistency was perfect. Alas, I did not taste any chocolate. I took a few bites of the cake alone to no avail. The cake had a hint of cinnamon to it, which was unique to any other red velvet I had tasted before.

I guess I ought to give the truck props for giving its own spin on the classic red velvet.

Red Velvet Cupcake (photo by Yum Yum Cupcake Truck)

While I was let down by the red velvet, I was very much intrigued and impressed by the "Smut" cupcake. It is basically a conglomoration of everything you'd find in the junk food or cookie aisle at a grocery store. Topped with marshmallow, sprinkles, oreo crumbs, and a fluffy marshmallowy frosting, the cake is chocolate with a fudge center with an Oreo cookie and chocolate chip cookie base. It looked hard and burnt but it was absolutely delicious.

Smut Cupcake (photo by Yum Yum Cupcake Truck)
The layers came together to make the perfect indulgent cupcake for those cheat days.

Inside of Smut Cupcake (photo by Yum Yum Cupcake Truck)
So, my search continues. I'd have to say though, if I weren't in search for the chocolate, this cupcake make have taken it all!

Price: $2.75/cupcake
Cake: very soft, airy, light, fluffy
Icing: Creamy, smooth, not too sweet, not overpowering in cream cheese taste
Decorations: Simple
Overall: 7/10 sprinkles
Website: http://theyumyumcupcaketruck.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment