Thursday, December 17, 2015

Cupcakes and Cocktails - Epicurean Hotel

I'm not a huge Thanksgiving person, I never have been...maybe that's why it took me so long to write this post (okay, it's more likely because I got caught up with work and vacation time). Thinking back on when I was growing up, I can't really remember too many traditional Thanksgiving dinners. It wasn't because of the stereotypical "reaping of the earth/killing of the natives" defense that many Americans use, I think it was more so the fact that as Indian Americans, we never really incorporated Thanksgiving as one of our traditions. Of course, we loved having multiple days off for a long weekend and spending time together after my brother and I left for university was always nice, but ultimately the "Thanksgiving dinner" part never was a traditional part of holiday for us.

So when I heard Chef Beth was doing a Thanksgiving themed Cupcakes and Cocktails class, I was a little nervous and a little excited. I was nervous because for me, Thanksgiving seems very meat heavy and some of the flavors aren't necessarily flavors I'd chose as my first pick for cupcakes (i.e. turkey, green beans, stuffing). I was excited though, because I knew Chef Beth would put a wicked twist on any or all of these flavors, making it fun and cupcake friendly...and I wasn't wrong!

When I saw the menu I got even more excited, because not only was there no turkey in the cupcakes, but the flavors Chef Beth used were flavors I generally enjoy! I always forget about the desserts on Thanksgiving, I won't lie.

Menu:
My Little Sweet Potato cupcake
Mom's Pecan Pie cupcake
Chocolate Malt cupcake

During the class, I enjoyed Chef Beth's reminiscing about her family and her dedication of each cupcake to one of her family members. It was really great to get to know a little more about Chef Beth.

Banana Banshee paired with the Chocolate Malt Cupcake

Buffalo Trace toasted pecan whiskey sour paired with Mom's Pecan Pie
The class was one of the best yet. The cupcakes were delicious and inventive and the cocktails were delicious. My favorite cocktail of the night was the Banana Banshee which was paired with the Chocolate Malt cupcake. It tasted like a spiked banana chocolate shake, it was delicious. The chocolate malt cupcake also had to be my favorite cupcake. I had never had a chocolate malt let alone a chocolate malt cake and let me tell you, it's something to try! The cake was moist and delicious and the malt added a delicious chocolate flavor reminiscent of a delicious childhood.


This was probably my favorite class not only because the cupcakes and cocktails were delicious, but I felt like it made me a little more interested in Thanksgiving, it got me thinking of all the things I'm thankful for in my life, my friends, family, and coworkers.

I think this is the start of a new tradition, Thanksgiving cupcakes annually? Sounds good to me!


The best Christmas tree outside Epicurean Hotel


No comments:

Post a Comment