Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Luli's Cupcakes - St. Augustine, Florida

I had to take another hiatus from my cupcake explorations. A trip to Bonnaroo took a bit out of me. I did have some cupcakes from Sprinkles in LA though, which helped with my cupcake withdrawals.

This past weekend I went on an impromptu trip to St. Augustine. I hadn't been to St. Augustine wince I was young, probably in elementary school, so I was very excited to go.

On the first day I was walking around checking out some of the local shops when I just happened to pass by Luli's Cupcakes. I knew I had to check it out!



Luli's Cupcakes story is just as serendipitous as my find:
"LuLi’s Cupcakes began when  owner, Janeen Damiano Sara, took an anniversary trip to San Francisco and fell in love with the array of local bakeries. The love became an idea, which quickly evolved into reality when Janeen compiled a collection of delicious recipes and opened up her store front in Uptown Saint Augustine. What began as a hopeful business dream, in seven years, has grown to encompass baked goods, special events, cafĂ© eats, and boutique fashions! As much as we have grown over the years, we have maintained the belief that the finest ingredients, utmost quality and superior customer service at an affordable price is what makes a business great. We hope that you will indulge and share in our belief that cupcakes fix everything! Because, life is too short to do anything less than eat dessert first!"

I walked in and found an array of flavors in the display case. Apparently they have 17 different flavors daily along with 2 monthly specials. They also have gluten free and vegan options. Lucky for me one of those treats was a red velvet!

Red Velvet with Buttercream Frosting
The cupcake itself was light and moist. It had a great amount of chocolate flavor, almost perfect. The frosting, however, was a plain vanilla buttercream frosting. I enjoying the pecans on top. I was missing the traditional cream cheese pairing, but it was a great cupcake nonetheless.

This trip just re-invigorated me to restart my search for the perfect red velvet cupcake. I've found some other places in the Tampa area that I intend on investigating.

Onward to find the perfect red velvet cupcake!


Price $2.95/each
Cake: moist, airy, near-perfect chocolate flavor
Icing: smooth, creamy, vanilla buttercream
Decorations: simple pecans
Overall Rating: 7/10
Website: Luli's Cupcakes


No comments:

Post a Comment