Monday, October 13, 2014

Limnos Bakers - Capetown, South Africa

Here's another throw back from my travels from Africa back to the U.S.

South Africa is one of the places I had always wanted to visit. When I decided to take a two and a half month trip across Africa and parts of Southeast Asia, I knew South Africa had to be on that list. Not only was I fascinated by the amazing cultural differences along the way, but the fact that I could find cupcake bakeries in so many different places that were actually good really blew my mind
Along my travels I missed the opportunity to visit cupcake places in Dar Es Salaam and Lusaka. I felt really bad, as if I had slightly failed on my mission to find the best red velvet I could. Once I arrived in South Africa I was determined to find a cupcake bakery. Lucky for me, Google provided the top cupcakes in Capetown! Another great move was to have multiple free days during my 10 day trip to Capetown, giving me the opportunity to explore Capetown and find various cupcake bakeries.

One day I just happened to be wandering around the waterfront when I saw a picture of a cupcake on a jumbo screen...I was on the hunt! After wandering around for a few minutes, I found Limnos Bakers.

Red Velvet Cupcake by Limnos Bakers


Lucky for me, the only cupcake they had was red velvet! The icing tasted very strongly of cream cheese and was smooth and perfect! The cake was moist and spongy, as it should be. The pink sprinkles on top was the perfect finishing touch for a very simple but elegant cupcake.

The cake itself was light, sweet, but a little dry.  Unfortunately it did not have the traditional chocolate flavor red velvet should but otherwise it was a delicious cake.

Price: 20 rand (about $1.80)
Cake: light, sweet, airy
Icing: good amount of cream cheese flavor,
Decorations: simple
Overall Rating: 6/10
Website: Limnos Bakers




No comments:

Post a Comment