Monday, September 15, 2014

Sweet Ava's - Tampa, Florida

Today I got a treat at work, one of my co-workers surprised me with a red velvet cupcake from Sweet Ava's bakery. I was actually given a choice between three cupcakes, but once I saw the red velvet, it was pretty much a no brainer. I have to saw that there is nothing better than a red velvet cupcake on a Monday morning at the office. Seriously.

Looking at the cupcake, I was happy to see it was the old-school size for cupcakes. I noticed recently a lot of cupcake bakeries are going with the bigger sized cupcakes and it's slightly overwhelming. I'm going to admit, I'm not a big fan of the giant "regular" sized cupcakes. I always try to go for the minis these days, not only are they cheaper but they aren't as filling so I don't feel as guilty for eating one (or more).

So I took my first bite of the cupcake and was greeted with a nice creamy frosting. It tasted more like a vanilla butter-cream than the traditional cream cheese frosting often paired with the red velvet. The icing did pair well the with the cake though. The frosting added a sweetness that was lacking in the cake itself. The cake was slightly dry and dense and like I said, didn't have a certain sweetness that I have come to expect from the red velvet flavor. I could taste the cocoa though, which was a very pleasant surprise! The cake was also extremely red. Now I'm not a huge fan of using artificial dyes in food, food coloring is not my best friend, but I understand that in certain situations, one must use a little bit of coloring. There are always alternatives, but everyone doesn't always have the luxury. With this being said, I have come to notice that most red velvets are a darker red, almost a chocolate red. This cupcake, however, was a real red. It looked like the red of Hawaiian Punch or lipstick. It was a little unnerving to me...

Red Velvet Cupcake from Sweet Ava's
Overall I was pleased with the red velvet cupcake from Sweet Ava's. It wasn't exactly the best cupcake I've had, but it definitely wasn't the worst.

And so I go, onto the next one!

Price: $3.50/cupcake
Cake: dry, dense
Icing: light, sweet, creamy
Decorations: simple
Overall Rating: 6/10
Website: Sweet Ava's


No comments:

Post a Comment